Friday, June 14, 2013

Posters, Place Value & Ten Frames! Oh my!



This is what I am currently working on. I've been searching for vertical ten frames and simply couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Over the course of the year my PLC read Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies. We practiced number talks in our class and shared strategies for successful implementation. 


A way to help students recognize place value and to subitize is to present the ten frames vertically. So, this is what I've come up. I've still got some work to do. What do you think? 



3 comments:

  1. That's so smart! I've never seen the ten frames used vertically-- I love that idea! I've been teaching just reading for the past 2 years, but I'll be all subjects for second grade in the fall. I'm so excited to learn about teaching math! --thanks for the great ideas! Keep us posted on your products :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started reading this book at my old school and am getting ready to get back into it. Totally forgot about the vertical tens frames! Thanks! Also, I am your newest follower!
    Kheila
    Two Friends In First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kheila,
      Yes, it's a great resource! Thanks for following me. I'll head over to visit your blog as well.

      Carol

      Delete